IHDS public data files are available from the Data Sharing for Demographic Research program of ICPSR, the Inter-university
Consortium for Political and Social Research, at
ICPSR Study 22626.
Data are free to all users. You do not need to be a member of ICPSR.
ICPSR asks that you create a login with your email id and a password.
You can then download all data and documentation.
More detailed instructions are available for creating an ICPSR login.
This is release 3 (17 February 2010). Data include:
The household and individual data files contain variables from both the household roster and economic
and from the education and health
See the topics page for more detail.
- Household file: 22626-0002-Data.dta (N=41,554 households; variables=938)
- Individual file: 22626-0001-Data.dta (N=215,754 individuals; variables= 211)
- Medical facility: 22626-0003-Data.dta (N=3,777 medical facilities; variables= 130)
- Non-resident family members: 22626-0004-Data.dta (N=4761 individuals; variables= 22)
- Primary school: 22626-0005-Data.dta (N=3,782 schools; variables= 102)
- Birth history: 22626-0006-Data.dta (N=93,820 births; variables= 32)
- Village data: 22626-0007-Data.dta (N=1,501 villages; variables= 378)
- Crop production: 22626-0008-Data.dta (N=40,772 crops; variables= 21)
Data from the 1994 Human Development Profile of India and linkages to the IHDS households are available from NCAER
with certain restrictions. Please see the
HDPI panel description and data use agreement.
Future releases will include:
- Wages and salaries
- Census districts